Oboist's Reed Doctor
The Oboe Reed Doctor enables you to get the best from your reeds and shows you how to make adjustments to improve your reeds. This book helps you solve the following oboe reed issues:
- The bottom notes are unresponsive and difficult to play quietly
- The middle register is unclear or "stuffy".
- Tonguing and staccato are poor or difficult. Tone in upper register is generally a little fuzzy.
- Notes in the top octave are "fuzzy" or unresponsive.
- The tone is too "dark" or heavy throughout all registers.
- Too much cane has been removed from the heart of the blade and the tone is too thin.
- To wire or not to wire?
- Adjusting the tip opening by using wire.
British Double Reed Society reviewer Graham Salter says of the Oboist's Reed Doctor: ".....Any pamphlet which encourages young players to think about the quality of their reeds is doing a good job. Clear line drawings present one simple thought per page."
This brilliant little book also covers oboe reed scraping techniques, adjusting of the wires and reed health.